July 21, 2013

Jenga Block Play

 I apologise in advance for this photo heavy post...

 
On a recent Friday afternoon I took out the two boxes of jenga and added a jumbo sized pack of playing cards. I opened the boxes and said to the boys: "How about creating some structures using the cards and blocks". Well, that pretty much set the tone for the next 24 hours. Did I say 24 hours? - 48 easily.



 
I really love blocks. I love that they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and that they are so open-ended, leaving much to the imaginations of young and old alike.




Big One built his first few structures with the cards, but thereafter simply created beautiful "architectural structures" (if I may call them that) with the blocks. Little One seemed to enjoy the block and card combo and continued to create designs using both. Little One was a bit envious of the fact that his brother could make "much cooler" (as he put it) creations. 

Eying his brother's creation...


Little One made these - I think they are super :) 

 
   
And of course, these blocks lend themselves to making tracks...


and to writing your name...

and to making domino effects...


and to making these.

  
It gave me so much joy watching them play and even I was taken by surprise at how this "simple play" held their attention for so long.

Do your children play with blocks? Do you ever add something to the blocks to extend or expand their play? I'd love to hear about it. 

For more fun block ideas and inspiration, check out my Pinterest Blocks Board.

Till next time, happy playing :) 

PS. Sharing our fun at The Weekly Kids Co-Op. 

4 comments:

MyBright Firefly said...

The boys do have a great imagination, just like their Mommy <3

katherine marie said...

oh the JOY of BLOCKS and CREATIVITY!!!! seriously amazing structures!! Looks like they had so much fun... Thanks for the wonderful inspiration.

Unknown said...

How fun! We love to build structures to knock down with our Angry Birds toys out of Jenga blocks at Grandma and Grandpa's house...there's just something about the size and shape that makes them great for building. We'll have to try adding playing cards next. Thanks for stopping by Play Trains!

Lisha said...

Thank you for sharing this! My boys are at it since morning and have been having a wonderful time, building and bonding!! :-)

I also hope to share these ideas on my parenting page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ConsciousParentingApproach - inviting you and your fans to come say Hello to us and check out our posts. See you there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...